As it is known, the pandemic has become a factor that causes great and permanent differences, especially in our business life. During this period, many companies managed their businesses remotely, and when they realized that different methods were functional, they sought permanent solutions. We discussed the hybrid working model, which is one of these solutions, with its pros and cons.
The hybrid working model means working from the office on certain days of the week and working remotely on certain days.
The Advantages of Hybrid Working Model
- First of all, one of the most important advantages of this working model is that it gives more freedom to employees and employers. Both working in a business environment and providing the employee with the opportunity to work in the field they want to contribute to more free work.
- Working only in the office or at home can be tiring for the employee most of the time. Thanks to this model, the person both satisfies the motivation to be social in the office environment and reaches the comfort of working in the comfort of the home environment when necessary.
- One of the biggest advantages of the hybrid working model is that it eliminates the traffic problem. Especially those working in big cities who devote a significant part of their day to the road for commuting. This is both a waste of time and a very tiring process. With the hybrid model, employees can work on the road without wasting time.
- The hybrid working model is a much less costly system, especially for employers. In environments where wages such as meal fees and travel fees are cut, the financial expenses of the offices are also reduced. Reducing the number of bills such as electricity and water is one of the points that can be gained in the hybrid working system.
- Another advantage is that it is a system that emphasizes productivity more. In this system, the aim is not to fill the working hours, but to finish the given work on time.
The Disadvantages of Hybrid Working Model
- Mutual trust must be developed. Employees who are constantly checked during remote working periods may feel that they are not trusted. This can lead to mutual communication problems.
- Another point is that both parties can develop empathy towards each other. Especially since the distraction rate of employees who are parents will be higher, it should be paid attention to empathize with them. It is also very important that the communication to be established is of good quality. During this period, communication problems may come to the fore more.
- In order to minimize business interruptions and avoid communication breakdowns, attention should be paid to the technological infrastructure so that employees can be accessed at any time at this point. The establishment of this infrastructure requires a serious effort, both materially and spiritually.
- Especially in sectors with intense work processes, if the work-private life balance cannot be maintained, people may experience an increase in issues such as demotivation, fatigue, and stress.
- If the Performance Management process is not designed correctly by the relevant managers and human resources, situations such as abuse of the process or vice versa, failure to appreciate the working discipline may occur. This can create serious problems at the point of holding the talent.