Lead Gameplay/AI Programmer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Engineering at Epic
What we do
Unreal projects have been leading the pack of real-time entertainment with our constantly growing team of engineering experts. We’re always improving on the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic.
Come be part of the excitement and energy to help continue building Fortnite into one of the biggest games in the world! Epic Games is looking for an experienced Lead Gameplay AI Programmer to join Fortnite's growing Engineering team. We believe that the best gameplay experiences are driven by collaboration and iteration between gameplay programmers, designers, and artists. You will play a critical role in driving future gameplay features, whether it’s new crazy items in Battle Royale, or pushing Save the World in new, exciting directions.
In this role, you will
- Responsible to the overall success of the team
- Mentor and coach a team of gameplay-AI engineers. Making everyone around you better.
- Be a primary hub for communication and information that other disciplines can come to for guidance.
- Play a strong role in improving overall team velocity and build health. Be a force multiplier by way of concrete actions.
- Efficient and timely delivery of core gameplay features, and speak up when the team is over or under scoped..
- Distill high-level feature requests into meaningful, actionable work-items, and being able to delegate to the team effectively.
- Ensure the technical approach being proposed for a given feature satisfies both the surface-level, and deeper, engineering-specific requirements.
- Propose architecture and lead the vision for the different gameplay AI systems needed to deliver mentioned features
- Able to jump-in and participate in writing code when necessary
What we’re looking for
- Experience developing games professionally, and shipping AAA titles
- Experience leading a team of gameplay AI engineers within a shipped AAA titles
- A keen analytical mind, with strong problem-solving skills
- Strong C++ skills and the ability to code and architect gameplay mechanics and tools
- Well versed in game’s and the ability to articulate what is strong/weak about the design of existing games (an interest in online games is preferred)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Console experience
- Experience working on a live service game is a plus
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, and able to work independently
- Creativity in problem-solving and the ability to think outside of the established solutions
- Keen interest in games
- Experience working in Unreal 4 is a plus
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
- Founded in 1991, Epic Games is a leading interactive entertainment company and provider of 3D engine technology. Epic operates Fortnite, one of the world’s largest games with over 350 million accounts and 2.5 billion friend connections. Epic also develops Unreal Engine, which powers the world’s leading games and is also adopted across industries such as film and television, architecture, automotive, manufacturing, and simulation.
- Through Unreal Engine, Epic Games Store, and Epic Online Services, Epic provides an end-to-end digital ecosystem for developers and creators to build, distribute, and operate games and other content. Epic has over 40 offices worldwide with headquarters in Cary, North Carolina.
Your application has been successfully submitted.