Lead Character Artist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are seeking a talented, passionate and creative Lead Character Artist looking to create photo-realistic characters while breathing life and personality in our next chapter of cinematic story telling.
If you have developed and managed a team of artists responsible for delivering the highest quality in character artwork, we want to hear from you!
PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies!
What you’ll be doing:
- You will collaborate with the Art Manager, Character Supervisors, and Production department to deliver work estimates for character creations across all projects.
- Work with external clients to understand project scope and requirements as well as provide feedback and advice.
- Work with the technical teams to improve the production processes, tools and pipelines.
- Document, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists and outsourcing partners.
What we are looking for:
- 7+ years’ experience as a professional character artist in AAA games.
- 1+ year as a Lead or Supervisor for AAA games.
- At least 1 shipped AAA title as a Senior, Lead or Supervisor.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine (preferably Unreal)
- Bachelor of art degree or equivalent proven experience and training
- Portfolio of realistic, highly detailed, 3D character models, with highly realistic textures (skin, hair, worn fabric/accessories, etc.), accurate anatomy, detailed clothing, etc.
- Mastery of standard art packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and Substance Designer.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership, mentoring and teaching abilities.
- Experience with Marvelous Design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox.
- Experience with photogrammetry scanning and tools.
- Python scripting experience considered a plus
As a part of the PlayStation application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test, in addition to a phone screen.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
Your application has been successfully submitted.