Lead QA Coordinator - Avatar
San Mateo, CA, USA
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
As a Lead QA Coordinator on the Avatar team, you will be responsible for all testing efforts for a complex, 3D Avatar system at the heart of the Roblox platform. You will ensure the quality of projects that leverage the Roblox game engine to build experiences that push the boundaries of our avatar technology across multiple platforms. Your work will also focus on our avatar and animation system, which interact with every part of the engine, from physics simulation to game engine architecture, as well as the tools used by our developer community every day. We are looking for a leader to coordinate testing with third party testers, partner with other Roblox QA, create and maintain automation, and work with developers and designers to ensure the highest level of quality for our users.
- An experienced leader, with 1+ years coordinating third-party test teams, 1+ years in test automation, 3+ years as a QA Lead, and 5+ years in Quality Assurance testing, able to prioritize and assign tasks and train new testers
- Experienced with 3D environments and objects, able to understand the challenges of testing 3D objects in an open environment, preferably some experience with 3D asset editors like Maya or Blender. Experience testing 3D games is a plus.
- Expert in your domain, able to apply industry standards and best practices, familiar with common issues encountered in mobile devices, consoles, Mac, and Windows, have advanced knowledge of QA tools (bug tracking software, test case management software, proxy tools, performance measurement tools, build distribution tools, etc.), and have created and run automated tests. Experience testing avatars or characters is a plus.
- A creative thinker, demonstrating problem-solving skills to guide bug investigation and able to devise and implement comprehensive test plans for major feature releases and ongoing regression suites
- Strategic, demonstrating a sense of process to improve tester efficiency and facilitate clear communication between local and offshore teams, and an understanding of the impact of issues and time constraints on engineering and other teams. Able to identify key test cases to automate and propose automation framework, tooling and other efficiency improvements
- Organized, with a sense of urgency in delivering high-profile results on a strict deadline
- Collaborative, with excellent communication skills and follow-through and able to coordinate with outsourced testers as well as local cross-discipline team members
- Dedicated to delivering high-quality software in a timely manner
- Manage outsourced testing for game and application software in a fast-paced environment alongside a passionate engineering team, building and maintaining our client applications on smartphones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox One.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and Engineering team members to devise test strategies, create test plans, and ensure that product requirements and testing instructions are effectively communicated to outsourced testing teams.
- Author testing regressions to ensure full test coverage of features and their integrated use in the product and work with engineers to create and update automated tests when applicable.
- Prioritize and assign tasks to outsourced testers, training them and providing feedback to ensure testing is completed correctly.
- Review and interpret test reports and results from outsourced testing groups and automated tests.
- Ensure defect reports are complete and detailed, reproducing issues locally as needed, triaging, and following up on issue resolution and fix verification.
- Be flexible with regards to occasional evening and weekend testing in order to meet deadlines.
- Work quickly and adjust to the changing demands of our agile development process.
- Working on unique projects that are seen - and enjoyed - by millions of active Roblox users every day
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rockstar status with our community
Roblox - Powering Imagination.
Your application has been successfully submitted.