Senior Level Designer (World Building)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
As a leading mobile games developer, Jam City is looking to “level up” our talent. We’re on the hunt for innovators who consider themselves dynamic, collaborative, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
PERKS & BENEFITS
Unlimited Vacation, Paid Sick Days & Holidays
100% Employee Covered Medical, Dental, Vision Plan Base Plan
Life Insurance, 401k, Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits & More
Catered Lunches & Well-stocked Kitchens
Yoga & Wellness Activities
We are looking for a highly creative and methodical senior level designer with an expertise and focus on world building and layout to join us on one of the highest profile IPs in the world. Do you love the idea of designing & building isometric adventure themed levels using high resolution, best in class 2d tilesets, sprites, and 3d characters? Are you fascinated by the idea of helping create a living digital world with beautiful flora and fauna which can help teleport the player to places they’ve only seen in the movies? Are you capable of taking something from a concept brief into a fully realized layout complete with quests, NPCs, cutscenes and narrative, by collaborating across all disciplines on the development team, AND hitting deadlines? If the answers to the above questions are yes, yes, and yes, we’d love to hear from you!
**Qualified applicants will be expected to show samples of work and complete a basic layout test.
- As a senior member of the team focused on layout and world building, you will create engaging game content — adventure themed levels, object placement, balancing mechanics and more.
- With input and oversight from the game’s vision holders, you and the game team will transform your great game ideas into an epic mobile experience.
- Cooperation, collaboration, and creativity are key in this role. You will work closely with narrative, design, and art leadership to create content that is on-design and on-brand.
- Working with the game’s narrative team, you will develop the level layout, scenario creation, world building, event scripting, entity placement, pacing, balancing, and game-play tuning.
- Collaborate with a team of engineers and designers to assist in the development, realization, and improvement of tools for the level design process.
- Build relationships on the development team to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation.
- Update the associated game design documentation, contribute to documenting level design best practices for the project.
- Minimum 4 years of experience doing level design and development (console and\or casual mobile space).
- Familiarity with level design and art pipelines.
- Sound understanding of overall game design, storytelling, game mechanics, level flow, pacing etc.
- High degree of familiarity with Unity and other map designing and editing packages.
- Excellent planning skills, with the ability to previz layouts from paper to game.
- Experience and love of working in visually stunning 2d isometric environments.
- Excellent visualization skills combined with good spatial and layout design instinct.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Capable of leveraging mobile device constraints into advantages.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well in large teams and stick to tight schedules.
NICE TO HAVE
- Understanding of current trends in the mobile casual space.
- Previous design experience on an invest express or adventure mobile title.
- Familiarity with scripting languages or other technical skills related to game development.
- Experience with Agile, working in sprints, using JIRA, and Google Docs/Sheet/Slides.
- Passion for bringing existing IPs to further detailed life.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, & INCLUSION
We believe in creating games that unite people across the world and that showcase our commitment to providing an environment that is both inclusive and diverse for our players and employees. We strive to create a workforce that is reflective of our global player community as we know that we are stronger and better when we play together. To help promote an inclusive culture, we celebrate the visible and invisible diversity of our Jam Citizens through initiatives including Employee Resource Groups, cultural events, trainings, speaker series, and more.
Jam City is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, religion, ethnicity, marital, or domestic partnerships status, disability, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expressions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws. Our management is committed to following this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruiting, pay, and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.
ABOUT JAM CITY
Jam City is an award-winning mobile entertainment studio providing unique and deeply engaging games that appeal to a broad, global audience.
Led by CEO Chris DeWolfe, former MySpace co-founder and CEO, and COO Josh Yguado, former 20th Century Fox executive, Jam City is the creative powerhouse behind some of the highest-grossing and most enduring mobile games. Jam City’s global franchise Cookie Jam has generated more than half a billion dollars, and Panda Pop has more than 120 million downloads to date.
The company also is the go-to studio for Hollywood, having developed immersive, narrative-rich mobile games around iconic entertainment brands. The company’s popular RPG game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery was the #1 game in more than 40 countries at its launch in April 2018.
Jam City has nine studios located in Los Angeles (HQ), Berlin, Buenos Aires, Bogotá, Burbank, Cedar Falls, San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto.
Your application has been successfully submitted.