Software Engineer (Gameplay)
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
Chicago, IL, USA
Full Job Description
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
NetherRealm: The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room! Monolith: For the past 20 years Monolith has been obsessed with delivering a unique gaming experience for our fans. Starting with Blood, our very first title – all the way to our most recent offering, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, we are constantly pushing the envelope to combine innovative gameplay, inventive narratives, cutting edge tech & AI, and stunning visuals. We are challenging ourselves even further to ensure that our next game is going to be our best yet. That’s where you come in – for us to achieve that we need the best and brightest talent the industry has to offer. Come join us and help create our next AAA title! Turbine: Founded in 1994, Turbine, Inc., a Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment development studio, is focused on creating free-to-play games for mobile platforms. The studio is utilizing its extensive expertise in creating persistent online worlds that foster powerful social gaming communities to develop its mobile titles, which include Batman™: Arkham Underworld and the upcoming Game of Thrones® mobile game. Avalanche: Avalanche Software was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment from Disney in 2016. The studio's first title under WBIE is a companion video game to the upcoming Cars 3, in partnership with Warner Bros., Disney, and Pixar. WB Games SF: Warner Bros. is a top video games publisher across multiple platforms. In mobile games, we have a growing portfolio of hits that includes DC Legends, Mortal Kombat X, and LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, and we continue to expand by adding great people and leveraging the best portfolio of brands and intellectual property in the industry, such as DC Comics, Harry Potter, and LEGO. We are looking to add enthusiastic, talented and experienced professionals to our Mobile Publishing team. WB Games New York: WB Games New York works with some of the top talent in the game industry to build online competitive and social features for video games. Our highly experienced team of engineers utilize cutting-edge technology to build game services that are robust and scalable enough to support world-class developers such as NetherRealm Studios, Rocksteady, Monolith Productions, WB Montréal, and more!
NetherRealm Studios, a division of WB Games Inc. seeks a Software Engineer to work as part of the programming team behind the Mortal Kombat franchise. This is an opportunity to show your skills and grow with a team of talented engineers working on a wide range of tasks for future titles.
We are looking for an extremely strong programmer with a passion for video game development to work on an array of features and optimization, from implementing specific gameplay mechanics to creating cutting-edge tools for artists. The work required will be constantly varying to allow you to gain a deeper understanding of all aspects of the game engine.
The right person for this position will have excellent general software development abilities, as well as strong knowledge of mathematics and experience with PS4 or Xbox One software development. This position requires expertise in at least one area of game development, from writing gameplay systems to online infrastructure, as well as a strong desire to constantly improve one’s knowledge and skillset.
- Implement new features, systems and code improvements directed by the director of engineering.
- Fix bugs related to game engine and tools.
- Work iteratively with artists and designers to define and implement specific features.
- Report to leads on progress and evaluations of different algorithms and techniques.
- Systematically debug complex issues and provide detailed feedback to senior engineers. This will often require stepping through code to help senior engineers isolate the root cause or issues.
- Create documentation on implemented features suitable for content creators to understand.
- Work with directors and senior programmers to improve both code implementation as well as general engineering practices.
- BS in computer science or related field.
- 3+ years of programming/software engineering experience in the game industry.
- Experience with the Unreal Engine.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills. We are looking for people with a deep understanding of the language and how it works.
- Strong problem solving and mathematics skills.
- Knowledge of next-generation architectures and game engines, preferably with hands on experience.
- Ability to take direction and learn from others. Ability to work well in small groups.
- Stellar communication skills and a positive attitude. The ability to work in a group to solve problems and ask for help when needed.
- Strong desire to create top-notch, AAA titles.
- Ability to collaborate with engineers and content creators.
- Creative, focused, results-oriented, self-motivated, problem solver.
Your application has been successfully submitted.