Engine Programmer, Fortnite Content Pipeline
Cary, NC, USA
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Engineering at Epic
What we do
Fortnite and Unreal Engine are leading real-time entertainment experiences by constantly pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved. We’re always improving on the tools and technology that empower content developers and users worldwide.
What you’ll do
The Fortnite Team is working on an ambitious and groundbreaking content delivery project. Leveraging the tools and pipeline of Unreal Editor we plan to deliver optimized content on demand to our millions of users within minutes of it being published.
As part of this Team, you will be working on the Unreal Engine, and the associated Fortnite features, to build out the core technology behind a cutting edge on-demand cloud data processing platform.
In this role, you will
- Design and implement new engine runtime features for the Fortnite cloud processing system
- Design and implement APIs and supporting tools as required by the demands of the project.
- Optimize both memory and performance in systems that have to scale from high-end to mobile systems
- Analyze and fix common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems
- Contribute to the broader design and implementation of the whole project
What we’re looking for
- Excellent C++ experience, and familiarity with scripting systems like Blueprint, Lua, Python, etc.
- Experience in a broad range of engineering areas on shipping games or real time visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design
- Experience in a cross-disciplinary development environment with excellent communication skills. You should be able to communicate and explain trade-offs with non-engineers!
- Experience with an existing game engine and editor concepts. UE4 would be nice to have.
- Familiarity with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including PC, console, and mobile
- Fearless attitude to making deep and profound changes to an existing engine to provide paradigm shifting improvements that change the world
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k, and profit-sharing.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.